Charles Fletcher Taylor

Charles Fletcher "Fletch" Taylor was one of Quantrill's original recruits. Taylor was at the Missouri battles of Centralia, Independence, Richfield as well Baxter Springs, Kansas. Importantly, taylor was at the Pay Back in Lawrence Kansas. Was probably a spy in Lawrence before the raid, serving with reconnaissance.

Fletch Taylor started his own command sometime in late June of 1864, when he led some of Quantrill's former guerrillas into the Platte County, Missouri area to provide security to Confederate Colonel John Calhoun Thornton (behind Union lines) - then working that area. Taylor was now a Captain of a Missouri Partisan Ranger band.

On several occasions, Captain Taylor's company worked with John Thrailkill's Partisan Ranger guerrilla band in combined operations. They did not always see eye to eye on details, but did work together.

Captain Taylor suffered serious injury in battle. This took place August 8, 1864 when he was returning to his guerrilla band after attending an area guerrilla council of war, somewhere in north Lafayette County. While passing through Rush Bottoms, northeast Jackson County, local militia there fired upon his small party severely wounding Taylor in the left arm.

A local doctor had to amputate the arm three days later. Some evidence indicates Taylor recovered sufficiently to regain control of his band in September and lead it in operations supporting General Price's great Missouri raid through October 1864. This reported in several sources including yankee reports.

After the war, Fletch Taylor became an influential citizen of Joplin, Missouri after he grew wealthy from his lead mines in Jasper County. Taylor was also elected to the Missouri State Legislature and served on the Missouri General Assembly after the war.

Fletch Taylor always enjoyed telling about his war exploits. By that time the southern Democrats were back in power and Southerners spoke openly of "The Cause." It was in vogue to interview Confederate veterans in Missouri once more, especially ones as colorful as Fletch Taylor.

At some point after his service in the Missouri State Legislature, Fletch Taylor left the Jopin / Jasper County area and relocated to Nebraska.

Then, in approximately 1892, Fletch Taylor moved to California. According to Taylor's obituary found in the Oakland Tribune - dated April 24, 1912 - Fletch passed away at 70 years of age. Taylor's funeral was held at 10:30a.m. earlier that day (April 24, 1912). It went on to say that "His remains were cremated and laid to rest beside his wife in Odd Fellows Cemetery, San Francisco, California."

Further in the obituary, Fletch Taylor is referred to as a retired Capitalist. Mentions that he came to California 20 years ago (approximately 1892). His Confederate service is given as a riding with Quantrill and also being a Missouri Partisan Ranger Captain. The obituary also concurs that Taylor was shot twice & he lost an arm in conflict, serving with the Missouri Partisan Ranger movement.


Copyright © 1995 - Present
MCT Internet Service
"Your Best Bet On The Internet"